The Saskatchewan Arts Board acquires objects and archives by Saskatchewan artists through purchases, donations, gifts or bequests and on occasion commissions to develop a provincial collection of the highest quality which will inform, enlighten and enhance the lives of present and future generations.
Anyone is able to suggest work to become part of Permanent Collection either through purchase or donation/bequest. In order to have a fair and transparent policy, we receive submissions at two deadlines annually.
Questions? Check out our FAQs.
Still Life with Big Mouth, 2014
Acrylic on canvas
Photo: Courtesy of the artist
- April 1
- September 15
Submissions may be made at any time, but those made throughout the year will be held for consideration after these closing dates.
Note: If the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the closing date is moved to the next working day.
- Permanent Collection Submission - Purchase
- Permanent Collection Submission - Donation
- Permanent Collection Submission - Helpful Hints
After the submission closing dates, all work proposed for the Collection is considered by our Curatorial Working Group, which is comprised of members of the Arts Board staff and Board of Directors, complemented by outside public professionals (artists and curators). All acquisitions are carefully considered in light of the Permanent Collection Policy and according to the following criteria:
- Relevance: Does this object represent the work of a Saskatchewan artist? Does it strengthen the work that is already in the Collection?
- Quality: Is the object a good example of the artist's work and does it augment the Collection qualitatively?
- Condition: Is the object in good condition? Would maintenance of the object prove costly on an ongoing basis?
- Cost: Is the object available at a fair market price? Are there additional costs related to storage and/or framing?
- Source: Are there any restrictions attached to use of the object?
The Arts Board tries to respond to all proposals for sale or donation, in writing, within 60 days after the submission closing dates above.
(306) 787-4239 (Regina) or 1-800-667-7526 (Toll-Free)